This position performs duties under the limited supervision of the Network Services Director. The Cloud Network Engineer works independently to plan, design, engineer, operate, support, maintain, and monitor the wide area network, private cloud, hybrid cloud, public cloud, wireless and local area networks on campus. This position serves as the expert-level primary for the emerging Public Cloud Infrastructure network technologies (i.e; GCP, Azure and AWS). The position is responsible for overseeing the technical design and deployment of the University’s network strategy.
Primary responsibilities include controlling network activity to ensure sound and secure operations and coordinating and monitoring multiple concurrent projects relating to the expansion and maintenance of existing network facilities and deployment of new network technologies. This position focuses on core network infrastructure, public cloud networking, WAN and border infrastructure.
- Provide program management of assigned network architecture and development of future roadmaps based on CSU/SJSU, industry best practices and vendor input, including plans for future network technologies integration and deployment.
- Design, manage and maintain network and VOIP architecture and services deployment to improve efficiency and cost effectiveness in adherence with existing technology strategy.
- Provide proactive consultation to management on needs, risks, plans and opportunities in assigned technology areas.
- Lead network technology projects from evaluation, implementation, validation, and documentation.
- Prepare and execute plans for campus expansions and upgrades, including integration of other campus services.
- Collaborate with other CSU campuses to integrate/access SJSU services with other systems hosted at different CSUs/cloud/vendor sites.
- Provide Full Lifecycle for Emerging AWS/Azure/GCP Public Cloud Infrastructure.
- Collaborate with ISO to design, plan and maintain network systems, on premise and in the cloud, to adhere to ISO policy and standards.
- Secure network resources from inappropriate access and other threats.
- Address security related issues for network access and devices.
- Collaborate with Campus resources on security incidents.
- Develop and manage processes and procedures to support daily campus network/VOIP services and operations.
- Manage network/VOIP services based on ITSM practices established by IT.
- Conduct network tests and monitoring of network integrity, performance and security to identify service issues and develop plans for remediation.
- Maintain and support network equipment and software systems, including firewalls, switches, WAPs & WLAN controllers, VOIP Infrastructure and other network related hardware and software.
- Recommend initiatives and changes to improve quality and services.
- Follow all change management procedures including preparation of change requests to execution.
- Mentor and cross-train staff on best practices and operational processes. Create and maintain documentation for assigned technologies.
- Troubleshoot network problems for Cloud, WAN, LAN and Wireless communications and security issues.
- Troubleshoot VOIP related issues for SJSU Managed VOIP infrastructure like UC/UCCE.
- Develop and implement procedures, tools and best practices to avoid wasted resources and improve efficiency for SJSU users when using the network resources in on premise and public clouds.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to design and maintain network security and integrity of data on network
- Ability to develop, document and continuously improve operational processes and procedures
- Ability to investigate security incidents within respective systems
- Ability to lead and manage projects and change implementations in alignment with IT best practices
- Ability to manage vendor relationships to provide effect support to assigned technologies
- Ability to mentor and train staff on network technologies and procedures
- Advanced knowledge of how to configure and operate network hardware and software, including routers, switches, firewalls, management systems, and protocols
- Advanced knowledge of IP data, voice and video networks
- Advanced knowledge of network architecture and design for performance, reliability, and security
- Advanced knowledge of network traffic and performance parameters to interpret variance and service impact to users
- Comprehensive knowledge of local and wide area networks (LAN, WAN) and wireless system configuration(s) and protocols.
- Comprehensive knowledge of AWS/Azure/GCP Cloud networking, and general public Cloud networking
- Comprehensive knowledge of network architecture, configuration, protocols, and interconnectivity requirements for internal/external information transmission
- Comprehensive knowledge of network routing protocols (OSPF, BGP, MPLS)
- Comprehensive knowledge of firewall platforms (Cisco, Palo Alto)
- Comprehensive knowledge of security standards and network system utilities
- Demonstrated ability to install, configure, operate, and maintain applicable network equipment and application software programs
- Understanding of Identity Management and authentication concepts
- Advance knowledge with Infrastructure as Code and desire to apply automation to all aspects of the network cloud administration and operations
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, industrial technology, telecommunications or a related technical field, or equivalent training
- Five years of hands-on experience managing converged enterprise networks
- Minimum 7 years of hands-on experience with the following protocols (OSPF/BGP/MPLS)
- Five years of hands-on experience with Cisco Nexus and IOS-XE platforms
- Five years of hands-on experience with Cisco/Palo Alto Firewalls
- Five years of professional experience with architecting and building substantial networks on IaaS and PaaS platforms such as GCP, Azure or AWS
Classification: Network Analyst - Expert
CSU Salary Range: $6,686/month - $12,947/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: November 7, 2023 through November 20, 2023. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU strongly recommends that all individuals who access any in-person program or activity (on- or off-campus) operated or controlled by the University follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications and comply with other safety measures established by each campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf. The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at email@example.com.
Campus Security Authority - In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) and CSU systemwide policy, this position is subject to ongoing review for designation as a Campus Security Authority. Individuals that are designated as Campus Security Authorities are required to immediately report Clery incidents to the institution and complete Clery Act training as determined by the university Clery Director.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).