The Associate or Senior Associate Vice President for University Marketing and Communications is responsible for advancing and managing a broad-based integrated marketing and communications program to promote, advance and uphold the reputation of San José State University and ensure transparency with our various stakeholders. The position serves as lead adviser to the President, vice presidents, and deans of schools and colleges in formulating and implementing effective marketing strategies, messages, and communication vehicles.
Overseeing and coordinating all aspects of marketing and communications, the incumbent will work to assert the transformational impact of San José State University. To this end, the incumbent will work closely with the President, cabinet, and deans in setting overarching strategic priorities and devising marketing, communications, and public relations programs that support university-wide objectives. To this end, the incumbent will conduct a comprehensive review of current marketing, communications, and public affairs efforts and create a centralized and unified operation that is strategic, innovative, flexible, and responsive to the university's many constituencies. The incumbent will align marketing and communications work and resources currently housed outside the department with the work of central University Marketing and Communications.
- Oversee and lead a comprehensive communications and marketing team.
- Build, lead, mentor, and motivate staff, and encourage change and growth in both people and programs.
- Manage, work effectively with, delegate to, and provide direction and leadership for a team under stringent deadline requirements and competing demands.
- Plan and implement organizational and divisional administrative and financial strategies and goals, including budget management, operational efficiency, and optimal use of resources.
- Work closely with the President, cabinet, and deans in setting overarching strategic priorities and devising marketing, communications, and public relations programs that support university-wide objectives.
- Develop a public relations strategy and team that is proactive, engaged in building relationships with local, regional, national and international media and community stakeholders, and responsive to current issues affecting the campus.
- Establish a foundation that is reflective of campus history, informed by best practices, and identifies key opportunities and methods to engage.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Superior strategic skills with a strong grasp of industry best practices and a holistic understanding of all aspects of communications, positioning, and messaging, including a solid understanding of public higher education
- Demonstrated skill in evaluating the strengths of existing marketing, communications, and public affairs programs and identifying opportunities for improvement and growth and fluency in developing dashboards and reports to highlight, assess and illustrate impact
- Broad working knowledge of strategic communications and marketing; communications planning; digital (social, video, website, photography) and print media; visual communications; media and public relations; perception management; internal communications; and crisis management, as well as proven effectiveness engaging local, national, and international media
- A collaborative and collegial approach that demonstrates an eagerness and ability to engage a diverse client base and build strong professional relationships
- Ability to serve as a convener who synthesizes many ideas and produces work products that address a wide variety of goals and objectives
- Ability to plan and implement organizational and divisional administrative and financial strategies and goals, including budget management, operational efficiency, and optimal use of resources
- Ability to build, lead, mentor, and motivate staff; and the ability to encourage change and growth in both people and programs
- Demonstrated ability to manage others, work effectively with, delegate to, and provide direction and leadership for a team under stringent deadline requirements and competing demands
- Superior communication skills and the ability to connect with a variety of audiences; clear and effective written and oral presentation skills
- Demonstrated understanding of the challenges and opportunities presented by traditional and emerging media, from newspapers to social networks, and how best to convey information in ways that engage and involve a variety of constituents
- Ability to work with large-scale higher education systems such as university president, senior administration, deans, faculty, staff, students, CSU system administration as well as other CSU campuses and counterparts
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or related field
- 12 years of experience in related field
- Master’s degree
- Experience working in higher education or with higher education institutions
- 15 years’ experience in related field; Experience in the development and implementation of enrollment marketing for a university’s online degree program; Experience coordinating and managing a university’s Athletics marketing and digital media initiatives; In-depth knowledge and experience conducting a comprehensive internal/external brand study for implementation; Experience working with various digital marketing automation (e.g. Marketo, Hubspot, Pardot), project management (e.g. Asana, Monday.com, Basecamp) and content management systems tools (e.g. Omni Update, Drupal)
Classification: Administrator IV
Anticipated Hiring Range: $17,000/month - $18,500/month
CSU Salary Range: $9,167/month - $29,425/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: November 27, 2023 through December 11, 2023. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU strongly recommends that all individuals who access any in-person program or activity (on- or off-campus) operated or controlled by the University follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications and comply with other safety measures established by each campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment, and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third-party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf. The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at email@example.com.
Campus Security Authority - In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) and CSU systemwide policy, this position is subject to ongoing review for designation as a Campus Security Authority. Individuals that are designated as Campus Security Authorities are required to immediately report Clery incidents to the institution and complete Clery Act training as determined by the university Clery Director.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).